There has been a lot of discussion about the testing for coronavirus but not much has been announced about Hydroxychloroquine phosphate or the possible cure and preventing the spread.
I am presenting a list of antiviral and anti-inflammatory medicines, which though not strictly targeted for COVID 19, but if used could prevent the morbidity and community spread of coronavirus.
1. Kaletra (combination antiviral drug -Lopinavir & Ritonavir) a proven effective treatment used for HIV for the last 20 years. It’s a protease inhibitor and thus prevents replication of the virus. Abbvie pharmaceutical has donated an enormous number of Kaletra to the Chinese health authorities for Coronavirus. This could be one of the reasons for the sharp decline and cure of the virus in China.
2. Tamiflu – antiviral used for various influenza. Many health authorities are also using this to help abate the Coronavirus and its spread.
3. Remdesivir (Gilead) – was used and was successful in reducing lung diseases from MERS. WHO has announced that is maybe helpful in combating the Coronavirus. It’s currently not available to the public. The US government should ask Gilead to make it available and should be used immediately for its therapeutic efficacy.
4. Chloroquine (antimalarial) it’s anti-inflammatory property has successfully inhibited SARS COV 2 replication and hence possibly, its effectiveness for COVID 19
5. Baricitinib (Olumiant) is predicted to reduce the ability of the virus to infect the lung because it might interrupt the passage of the virus into cells and also the intracellular assembly of virus particles.
Hydroxychloroquine Phosphate & Remdisvir. Is their downside?
The downside risk is so huge for not treating now at this critical juncture. there’s very little risk to possibly over treat then not treat at all and wait for a disaster. Either
1. Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine phosphate – rising pharmaceuticals)
Should be immediately started as a single drug treatment OR a combination of 1+2 or combination of 1+3
US President has to order the 3 pharmaceutical companies to produce, manufacture the 3 drugs and make it readily available in excess quantities and this should be sent directly to the pharmacies, so the patients can receive it readily.
NO middle man,
The announcement from President Trump and Dr. Stephen Hahn seems to point to the direction of treatment, I have been pleading for but yet they are slow to enact. The question we need to emphasize to these pundits & Bureaucrats is that there is nothing to lose if we can start the treatment on three categories of patients immediately
1.Patients who are already positive with Covid 19.
2.Elderly patients with a compromised immune system.
3.The people who have been in close touch with positively tested COVID-19 patients
1. Hydroxychloroquine phosphate
2. Kaletra-double antiviral treatment has been successfully and safely used for the last 20 years against HIV.
3. Remdesivir. An antiviral that has already been approved, tested to a significant level, but not available to the public yet.
Number one drug hydroxychloroquine phosphate can be used alone or in combination with number two or number three-to have a broader spectrum of an attack on the virus, by preventing the replication.
If we want to stop this virus from spreading we have to start using these drugs until something better is discovered. We do not have the luxury to wait, explore, ponder why the virus is spreading rapidly.
If there are questions or you would like to know more about the available treatments contact our front desk and we will push your questions and concerns to the doctor. Dr. Kanodia has been at the forefront of many cutting edge treatments from the past 30 years. His biggest focus is the health and well being of not only his clients but of the communities he lives in and supports. Dr. Kanodia wishes everyone the best health and urges healthy habits now more than ever.